Massachusetts Council for Exceptional Children
Special Education Professional of the Year Award
The Massachusetts Council for Exceptional Children annually recognizes one professional in the field of special education who has demonstrated leadership, research, outstanding innovations in the field, excellence in teaching, at the school, community, district, and/or state level that take place within or outside the school setting, influencing significant contributions that advance the field of special education in a positive way.
The nominee must:
• Be a current CEC member at the time of nomination and have been a CEC member for at least 2 years (these years of membership may be non-consecutive).
• Have made an impact in the field of special education through innovation, scholarship, research, or work with to students.
• Hold professional certification or related credentials in the area in which he or she provides services.
• Engage in work consistent with CEC’s mission statement, as stated above.
Posthumous nominations are not accepted.
Benefits of the Award
The recipient of the award will:
- Be recognized at an awards ceremony at our annual conference
- Be featured on our organization’s website
- Receive complimentary registration to the 2019 Massachusetts conference, and other events hosted by MCEC
- Be featured in a press release and social media campaign
To nominate for the Professional of the Year award, click this link to our submission form.
All nomination materials (including letters of recommendation and other nomination materials) must be submitted together by October 15, 2018.
• Nominations will be accepted electronically on our website
All submissions will receive a confirmation e-mail within three business days.
• Supporting materials must be PDF files.
• Please use the file name to clearly label each section and all nomination materials (e.g., “John_Smith_2018_MCEC_POYAward.doc” or MCEC.doc” or “John _Smith_Vitae.doc”).
• All materials submitted become the property of MCEC and will not be returned.
• Nominees may be nominated by a CEC-affiliated organization (unit, chapter, division, or subdivision), individual (principal, CEC member, fellow teacher/colleague, student, parent, self), educational organization (school, parent group, etc.), or community group.
*Only one nomination will be accepted from each CEC-affiliated organization in any given year per award.
Award recipients and nominators will be notified by:
Upon notification of the award a a photograph of the individual will be required. The photograph may be either a headshot or a photo capturing the individual in action related to their award area.
Copyright © 2018 Massachusetts Council for Exceptional Children | All Rights Reserved